About Ochre Bio
Ochre Bio is a biotechnology company developing RNA medicines for chronic liver disease by using advances in ‘deep phenotyping’ and testing our therapeutics directly in human livers kept alive on machines. We are undertaking a novel liver transplant pre-clinical research program in the United States to pre-treat steatotic livers. The study aims to use therapeutics on livers maintained by normothermic machine perfusion. To learn more, please visit www.ochre-bio.com.
About the Job
As a Perfusion Practitioner, you are responsible for managing the normothermic perfusion of recovered organs and for ensuring proper care and maintenance of the liver by managing blood flow; flow rate and pressure; regulating oxygen and carbon dioxide; and ensuring all equipment is functioning. You will also ensure the necessary perfusate and additives are maintained to ensure the health of the liver.
You will be working closely with surgeons and research scientists to preserve the viability of a liver whilst on a normothermic perfusion machine for extended periods. You will be involved in blood-gas and chemistry analysis to optimize and validate operating procedures and protocols, across a number of different perfusion centers. Additionally, you will be able to support the research by collecting perfusate samples. Additional experience in handling/processing fresh and frozen bio-samples is a plus.
The successful candidate will embrace this challenging role and the three measures of excellence we look for in our scientists: speed, value-based innovation, and a ‘can-do’ attitude. Biotech research is a very fast paced environment which will suit you if you have an enthusiasm to grow yourself in what is currently one of the most innovative biotech companies.
You have a solid scientific background and strong sense of responsibility, with excellent teamwork skills and the ability to work collaboratively with all the perfusion and science teams across three continents. You are competent in following complex protocols and providing critical feedback on perfusions. The role involves direct interaction with the teams and, therefore, you will be happy to travel long distance and abroad occasionally. The nature of the role will also sometimes require shifts and out of hours work.
The research you do will benefit all individuals irrespective of their background and you will actively support Ochre-Bio’s ethos to promote diversity, inclusion and social mobility in science.
- Receive, register incoming biological samples, and process sample requests
- Optimization of perfusion procedures and protocols
- Processing ex-vivo samples for target validations
- Ensure all processes and biospecimen management is complaint with all relevant regulations
- Conducting experiments for gene expression
- Establishing networks for access to tissue and whole liver organ
- Liaison officer between international centres
- Set up related training courses
- Assists with organ recoveries both local and non-local cases.
- Maintain surgical recovery equipment and supplies.
- Performs pulsatile perfusion of livers as per the specified protocols.
- Maintains normothermic perfusion equipment / supplies.
- Completes appropriate pump and cleaning logs.
- Record procedure notes and uploads required attachments in study liver electronic data record form.
- Prepare tissues for freezing and transport to central lab in the United Kingdom.
- Accept on call responsibilities as scheduled.
- Assist in the recovery of livers research as needed and directed.
- Ability and desire to learn new skills
- Extended normothermic liver perfusion
- Sample collection, including perfusates and possibly biopsies
- BSc degree in a healthcare science or similar field of study, or completion of healthcare certification program, such as nursing, paramedic, EMT, scrub technologist, surgical technologist.
- Healthcare experience required in some of the following: organ perfusion, OPO coordinator critical care, or as a surgical team scrub tech, surgical assistant, perfusionist or similar role required
- Competent with perfusion machines
- Able to handle specimens using aseptic techniques
- Proficient in the use of data transformation and analyses
- Highly organised and methodical approach to work and record keeping
- Self-motivated, capable of working both independently and collaboratively in a diverse team
- Ability to multitask and adapt to changing demands whilst working to tight deadlines
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a fast-paced environment
- High-level of attention to detail
- Experience in organ recovery support is a plus.
- Certification as a Tissue Bank Specialist, Surgical Technologist, LPN, RN, or CTP preferred.
- Collaborator/support team in a pre-clinical or clinical study
What we can offer you:
- A competitive annual salary
- 15 days PTO
- Competitive insurance and benefits
- Personal and Professional Development support